Dorper Sheep breeding stock:
- The Institute targets to maintain a flock of 200 ewes (breeding females) or more. This would allow for sale of at least 100 gimmers and 50 rams per year.
- There is very high demand for breeding stock by livestock farmers already rearing sheep and those wanting to embark on sheep farming.
- The current target is to retain as many females as possible for rebuilding the flock.
- 100 ha would need to be set aside, under improved pastures and hay production for the purpose. Another 25 ha for silage maize and grain is necessary to carry a breeding stock of at least 200 females.
- Further investments in feed resources in the future can increase breeding stock.